Thursday, July 03, 2003

ADVENTURES IN SUBURBIA

My once verdant lawn is now filled with yellow and brown dead patches. What only makes the situation worse is that this condition was self-inflicted. Worrying about the spreading clover and other weeds, I spread weed and feed on the lawn a week or so ago. I followed all the directions to the letter:

”Water lawn thoroughly before application”: check; the heavy cloudburst the afternoon before took care of that.

”Apply early in the morning”: check; the task was finished before 10:00 am.

”Do NOT water for several days” check; mother nature cooperated

and yet I now have the pleasure of watching my lawn die before my eyes. Clearly, I must have over-applied the stuff. Add to that the fact that our lone cherry tree appears to be dying, succumbing to Japanese Beetles, not to mention the fact that the constant rain of the spring and early summer months have literally killed a number of our plants, and you have a less than happy season for growing things at our household.

What is amazing to me about all of this is the fact that it would have been inconceivable to me a few years back to be worrying about such things.

"Inconceivable!”

"You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.”


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?