Sunday, January 11, 2004

FOOD STAMPS AND CELL PHONES. A reader has some interesting comments concerning my recent post on welfare and cell phones. Check out her blog here.
Cellphones these days can be for as little as $30 per month, with the phone free (I have that plan, thanks to Cingular)...so it's no more really than a home phone anymore.

Second, I don't begrudge anyone a phone. If someone IS looking for a job, they need a phone. What if she has no permanent residence? Moves every 2-3 months.....cell phones make more sense in that case.

I attended a great conference years ago that was hosted by FNS.....and basically they touched on welfare/foodstamp recipients who have cable TV, etc.

The comment was, most of these people- naturally, have kids. Whereas our kids get to normally take some semblance of a vacation, etc- these kids normally do not. So, money is spent on their only 'outlet' to see the world. I used to resent my clients that had cable...because for a long time I did not...it was too expensive. But in the big scope of things, I did eventually get it for my kids. And what's $30-$40 a month? At least when I'm broke and can't take my kids to the movies, out to eat, they can find something somewhat educational to watch on TV.

I sit on both sides of that whole fence...and I try to dispel any myth I come across...being that I'm a single mom who just happens to make too much to receive food stamps myself-but if I could, I would. You know what I'm saying?
I think I do know what she's saying. After all, why would anyone turn down aid from the government if it were offered? I remember initially being disgusted when Tom Daschle said that his mother was on Medicare. Why wasn't he ashamed of his inability to take care of his mother? Then it hit me: the government offers his mother free money for medical care. Why not take it?

And yes, cell phones can be particularly useful for people in transient lifestyles who are job seeking. And cable can come in handy in keeping rambunctious kids contained (those who object on principle to using tv as a baby sitter usually don't have kids).

I don't think I would like to live in a country that consigns any welfare recpients to a life in the poor house where they are deprived of any and all luxuries and have to work from sun-up to sun-down until they get back on their own feet again. But I still can't help feeling resentment when I deny myself luxuries that I would like to have but don't need and see others who enjoy such luxuries on my dime. Oh well, part of life.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?