Saturday, June 05, 2004

BUMPER STICKER POLLS

I spend far too much time driving. I have attempted to pay attention in the last few weeks to the number of political bumper stickers I see either while crawling along I-95 towards DC or flying through the backroads of Spotsylvania County. The results of my highly unscientific survey is the impression that Kerry stickers outnumber Bush ones by about 3 to 1.

I'm not sure what this might mean, if anything. What kind of people put a campaign sticker on their car? Committed followers? Docile family and friends of said committed followers? Do stickers influence others? I suppose there might be some sort of bandwagon effect if an overwhelming preponderance of stickers favored one candidate over the other. In this case, Kerry is clearly in the lead, but as compared to the overall number of cars on the road, the number with any political sticker on them is so small as to not be terribly influential.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?